The digital nomad Visa in Colombia provides for those foreigners that perform remote work or telework services from Colombia through digital tools. It will only proceed for non-restricted nationalities that demonstrate monthly income of at least 3 legal monthly minimum wages.
We just found a lot of misinformation on the internet about how the new digital nomad visa, should be interpreted regarding the short-stay period in Colombia, that couldn´t extend more than 180 days.
The Short-stay activity is understood as one whose duration is less than 90 days, and which can be extended up to 180 days. Digital nomads, remote workers and digital entrepreneurs of nationalities that do not require a short-stay visa, established by Resolution 5477 of 2022. They will be able to enter without a visa and remain in Colombia with an entry permit granted by the immigration authority, in accordance with current regulations.
Foreign digital nomads and remote workers who wish to stay and work from Colombia may apply for the Digital Nomad / Remote Worker Visitor visa, which is granted for up to two years with a minimum of requirements, as stayed as follows:
- Passport Photocopy: A photocopy of the first page of your valid passport showing your biographical data.
- Proof of Legal Entry: A photocopy of the page of your passport showing last stamp of entry or departure of Colombia.
- Letter from a Foreign Company: Letter in Spanish or English, issued by one or several foreign companies for which the foreigner provides his services, indicating the type of relationship and the type of remuneration received by the applicant. If you have a contract with said company, provide it, or demonstrate that you are a partner or co-owner of a company abroad and a letter indicating that your work for the company is carried out remotely.
- Motivational Letter: In the case of entrepreneurs, submit a motivational letter explaining your entrepreneurship project and the financial and human resources you have or hope to have for your enterprise;
- Bank Statements: Demonstrate through bank statements having income equivalent to three (3) Current Minimum Legal Monthly Wages (SMLMV) in the last 3 months: 750 USD APRX.
- Proof of Health Insurance: Health policy with coverage in the national territory against all risks in case of accident, illness, maternity, disability, hospitalization, death or repatriation, for the time foreseen for their stay in the country.
- Passport photo: Passport style face photo with a white background, sized at 3 cm width X 4 cm height, maximum size of 300 kb jpg file for onlin
In consequence, the Digital Nomad Visa implies that that the foreigner can spend more than 180 days in Colombia, with a regular condition, even more this digital nomad or remote worker can spend an entire year without becoming irregular because precisely the purpose of this visa if to allowed foreigner to spend more than 6 months in Colombia territory without any issue up to two years.
The major impact for these foreigners that spend more that 183 days in Colombia territory would be that they will need to file personal taxes in Colombia. If you need help please contact us!